I like having something mandatory, so we don’t need to ask for it.  Many
Faces did not have this, because the backend and the GUI only communicated
moves.  But the backend was creating a log file and it would be easy to
display the log with regular updates in a different window.

To prevent cheating, the display needs to be real time.  Log files created
later or even once per move don’t prevent cheating.  For example, the
cheater can choose a move, then ask a program to ponder on that move, and
produce a log that shows a nice PV for the move the cheater played.

If this rule is to be in effect, we need to know long before the contest,
since it might not be easy to code and debug.

David

We