Quoting Oliver Lewis <ojfle...@gmail.com>:

Others on this list have reported in the past that the randomness is
actually very important.  Playouts that are very heavy, no matter how
"clever" they are, actually reduce the performance because they narrow the
number of games too much.

I would like to disagree with this statement. I think it is difficult to make a good heavy playouts, but it is not impossible.

Failing to make a playout stronger through heaviness does not prove anything. It just mean one has failed.

If I could make a heavy playout of 1 Dan strength and then run in MC tree search. I am sure it would be stronger than the playout itself.

The problem I think is to find a good tradeoff between heavyness and speed. In my test with Valkyria vs Fuego, Valkyria is superior when the number of playouts are the same. But Fuego can play 5 times more playouts per second on the hardware that results in Fuego being slightly stronger than Valkyria at the moment.

It just cannot be that having strong playout leads to worse play in general. It is just a matter of not slowing down the code too much and add just those heavy elements that do increase playing strength.

-Magnus

--
Magnus Persson
Berlin, Germany