>The problem I think is to find a good tradeoff between heavyness and speed. In my test with Valkyria vs Fuego, Valkyria is superior when the number of playouts are the same. But >Fuego can play 5 times more playouts per second on the hardware that results in Fuego being slightly stronger than Valkyria at the moment.

Indeed - this makes me wonder why I keep seeing papers where different versions of algorithms are compared with the same number of playouts, rather than under the same time limit.

What is the motivation in this? I cannot conceive of any good reason for running an experiment this way, so I would be interested in opinions. It seems to me that making algorithms heavier and then demonstrating that they are stronger with the same number of playouts misses the point - why would one not run an experiment under the same time conditions instead?

Christian