From: Don Dailey <dailey....@gmail.com>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:40:10 PM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Re: Dynamic komi in commercial programs

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Christian Nentwich
<christian.nentw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Don, others,
>
>>are there publications about this? If people have tried it out, are
>>there any threads on this list that somebody remembers where results
>>are posted? I have not been able to find  any. It would be interesting
>>to see.

I think I just mentioned that there is probably not much on this except in the
archive.    And even then it's probably not very well documented.

I did try this myself but I don't have any data to show what I did.    What I
remember is that it's incredibly tricky - how do you actually know when and how
much to adjust?     If the score starts getting really low or really high, do
you restart the search with a new komi?    If you restart then you have wasted
effort.

I tried 2 different thing.  One of them involved using the total points won in
some kind of hybrid approach and the other involved changing the komi during
the game.

Using JUST the total points won is a drastic weakening of the program and it's
surprising how much.   I tried factoring in a percentage of total points won
and other things.    After some time I gave up - it seemed like I was taking
something that worked well and trying to make it better by factoring in
something that sucked.     It was like trying to make it play better by putting
something in on purpose that I knew makes it play worse.

The dynamic komi adjustment, from my recollection was more promising, but still
played worse.   The only way to make this work is if you know in advance what
kind of position you really have.    If you KNOW that you can pick off a small
group without risk, then it probably would work just fine.    But just
increasing komi for no reason except that you are winning is not good enough.
For instance if you KNOW there is a seki issue, then you should probably do it.
   But just doing it because there MIGHT be a seki issue every 50 games that
actually matters is not good enough.

You could call this a chicken and egg problem.    You can of course easily
construct positions that will illustrate how wonderful the idea is, and it will
probably work great in those positions.    Seki positions are always given as
to why this will help - but not every game has a game critical seki.   But I'm
pretty convinced you cannot generalize the idea.   You would have to do some
kind of pre-analsysis to figure out what needs to be done,  and by then you may
already know what to do anyway and you have a more convential program.

- Don