From: computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org
[mailto:computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org] On Behalf Of Brian Sheppard
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:25 PM
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Subject: [computer-go] Mercy rule position

  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A - X - O - - O - -
B - - O - O O - O O
C O O O X O - O O X
D X X O O O - O X X
E - X X O X O O X -
F X - X X X X X X -
G X X O O O O O X X
H X O O X X O O O X
J - O - X X - O O O
O to play and win :-)

The "play and win" is a joke, of course. O has a big, dead,
one-eye group at bottom.

But Pebbles simulations was winning this position at over
84% for O, no matter how long it searched.

When I investigated, it turns out to be because of the "mercy
rule." I had set the threshold at 25% of the board, or 20
stones difference between the sides. Here is a position:

  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A O - O O O - O - O
B O O O O O O - O O
C O O O - O - O O X
D X X O O O X O X X
E - X X O X O O X X
F X - X X X X X X -
G X X O O O O O X X
H X O O O O O O O X
J O O - X - O O O O
O "wins" by mercy rule, 45 stones to 24

I can move the threshold, of course, and that "fixes" the
problem. But I am wondering if there is a more reliable approach.

What do you do in your program?