On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Brian Sheppard<sheppar...@aol.com> wrote:

> What do you do in your program?

Not using the mercy-rule.

I believe you can gain 10%-20% performance on 9x9 using a mercy-rule.
But in its most simple form I don't see how it can be used reliably. I
don't know if the gain in performance offsets the small number of
problems you'll be getting, but if you add in the amount of time
you'll be chasing red herrings like these I don't think it's worth it.

I have thought of keeping track of the number of stones that are
adjacent to two 'eyes' and abort if the number, including the eyes,
exceeds half the board. But it's not really the same thing. And it was
never high enough on my to-do list to make it into an implementation.

Mark