On Sep 5, 2009, at 4:41 AM, terry mcintyre wrote:

Found an interesting article on Snow Leopard at Ars Technica ... 20- some pages.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars

Of interest to Computer Go programmers: the addition of blocks to C, which allow closures and other fun stuff, much like Lisp. LLVM, which allows JIT compilation to multiple architectures, including GPUs; Grand Central Dispatch, which provides very light-weight concurrency; and CLANG, a new compiler which is said to be quite an improvement over GCC. Open CL, which leverages LLVM to program GPUs.

Seems interesting indeed. Does anyone know how Objective-C 2.0 compares in speed to C? I like the promise of abstracting the CPU to the point where you can execute either on the CPU or the GPU, depending on which is available and which is suitable. I also like the blocks, it seems a little more elegant and more flexible than anonymous functions in Java. Combined with light-weight concurrency makes for an interesting combination.

Mark