> This sounds like progressive widening, but it could still be progressive
> unpruning, depending on implementation choices.

I do both.  I have a small pool of moves that are active and I also bias the
initial rave values.

> >My current schedule looks like:
>
> To be sure that I understand, MF orders the moves using static analysis,
> and
> then the ordering is further modified by RAVE observations?
>
> So when Many Faces accumulates Schedule(N) trials, it will restrict its
> attention to the N highest ranked moves according to the combined Static +
> UCT/RAVE? Or does MF restrict the choice to the highest N by Static eval,
> and then order the top N by UCT/RAVE?

No, neither.  Now I'm thinking that maybe I'm doing something different from
what I thought was described in the papers.  I didn't look at them
carefully.  I just took the name "Progressive widening", and invented
something that seems to work well.

> > if you are just using RAVE to do move ordering you might
> > need to widen faster.
>
> I recall that you credited the use of Many Faces rules with a massive
> improvement against GnuGo, so the technique is certainly empirically
> justified.
>
> But I am wondering how it achieves its results. That is, what do you think
> the difference is, compared to standard unpruning?
>
> There is a rule that I live by, which is "GG >> SS". This rule (really a
> universal law, when you get right down to it) states that a Good Guess is
> much better than a Short Search.

Agreed.  That's why I always prefer to add knowledge rather than tinker with
search parameters.

> So is the benefit that MF avoids wasting trials on moves that were just
> lucky in early trials, but probably will not stand up?

I think it's more that Many Faces values moves that have good long-term
consequences that the search can't find, so among moves with similar win
rates, it will choose the ones Many Faces prefers.

Or sometimes I think that UCT/MC is filling in the holes where Many Faces'
knowledge is incorrect or brittle.