> I tried this yesterday with K=10 and it seemed to make Many Faces weaker
> (84.2% +- 2.3 vs 81.6% +-1.7), not 95% confidence, but likely weaker.  This
> is 19x19 vs gnugo with Many Faces using 8K playouts per move, 1000 games
> without and 2000 games with the change.  I have the UCT exploration term, so
> perhaps with exploration this idea doesn't work.  Or perhaps the K I tried
> is too large.

If I understood correctly Olivier described it (*) as being the most
important term when using a large number of simulations. How about
trying 8 million playouts instead of 8 thousand...

Which brings up the question of how to reliably evaluate changes when
using a high number of playouts.

Darren

*: Olivier wrote:
What we call "progressive unpruning" is termed "progressive bias" by Rémi
Coulom. It is the use of a score which is a linear combination between
1) expert knowledge
2) patterns (in 19x19)
3) rave values
4) regularized success rate (nbWins +K ) /(nbSims + 2K)
(the original "progressive bias" is simpler than that)

for small numbers of simulations, 1) and 2) are the most important;
3) become important later; and 4) is, later, the most important term.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (Multilingual open source semantic network)