On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:39:59PM +0000, Jacques Basaldúa wrote:
> Petr Baudis wrote:
> > Actually, there is a thread about exactly this on fuego-devel
>
> In fact it is not "exactly this" it is a different approach.
> The post in fuego-devel tries to determine the status of each
> point of the board. That is not a good idea with or without MCTS
> because go is about trading. (Furikawari)
>
> My different approach is determining by "how many points" the
> simulated games are won. Only in yose the IQR becomes narrow
> enough to see how much territory is still in dispute.

I'm sorry, I was not reading your original mail carefully enough.

Upside of your approach is that it might be more accurate, downside is
that SE engines like on KGS give you a number but you can also judge
visually if their premises for the number are correct. Many strong
players actually look at SE, but quickly adjust the numbers by checking
which points were misjudged. I think they would prefer slightly less
precise estimate they can further work with to slightly more precise
estimate that's a black box. Confidence interval is great but doesn't
actually solve this problem.

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis