RE: CNNs: They can be, and have been, successfully applied to "movies" as
well. See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rahuls/pub/cvpr2014-deepvideo-rahuls.pdf
Also, in the first .pdf I linked you, the input layer has a notion of "age"
of the stones. For example, this stone was played 5 moves ago, this one 3
moves ago, etc. So, it is not a strictly static snapshot of a board.
In any event, the best performance will probably not come ONLY from CNNs
(although its prediction accuracy is surprisingly high), but the marriage
of CNNs to monte-carlo tree search, etc.

My sense is that we will continue clinging to romantic notions of human
intelligence (shapes, proverbs, etc.) until we eventually get ground to
dust in a Deep-Blue style competition. Not too long now :)