​Thanks for the link to the CMU CNN paper, Steven, which ​was very
interesting.  I noted with some pleasure that they included a fovea stream
- although maybe that is a bit of a misnomer, as whereas animal foveas roam
around the image, building (i think) a symbolic structural description of
the picture, theirs was fixed in the middle.

I wonder whether a roaming fovea CNN could be a successful "group
connectedness" classifier?  I can envisage the fovea being moved around by
a higher-level routine that uses a symbolic description of the game
situation to identify which areas/groups it wants it to investigate.

Incidentally, i'm unconvinced that including an age of stone feature is
valuable, because although the future is dynamic, the past is set in stone
(sic);  Go teachers sometimes talk about tewari analysis to demonstrate
when an old stone becomes inefficiently placed by a certain line of play.

As to romantic notions of human superiority, i personally feel that such
opinions are not so much romantic as hubristic - or perhaps paranoid!
However, i have to admit that in 1979 i was a false prophet when i claimed
"the brute-force approach is a no-hoper for Go, even if computers become a
hundred times more powerful than they are now" [Brown, D and S. Dowsey, S.
The Challenge of Go. *New Scientist* 81, 303-305, 1979.].  Back in those
days, i never imagined that something so blind as Monte-Carlo would become
more perceptive than even my weak eye, let alone being able to defeat a pro
(albeit with a 5-stone handicap), as Zen just did on KGS.

By the way, i've long since lost my paper copy of my paper; you have access
to an academic library - would you be able to retrieve and scan a copy of
it, just for my nostalgia?

--
​personal website <http://sites.google.com/site/djhbrown2/home>