I don't see how "leave the center empty" works as a valid case, assuming
this it just any valid 3x3 window on the board. Given bots playing each
other, there can be 9x9 clumps of a stone of the same color. I can see it
being argued there is no computational value in this specific pattern
instance. But, then what are the conditions of the exceptions to the
generalization? And how do you effectively iterate through the other
+20,000 variations (not reduced by location or color symmetry)?

So, I'm curious, is there some other assumption about the 3x3 window other
than it be a view into any valid 3x3 space on a Go board?