dear Ingo,

>>> ... (1 + delta)^(m*n).
>>
>> This is true, and a delta > 2 follows from a Theorem in an
>> upcoming paper by Matthieu Walraet and myself.
>
> Do you mean (1+delta) > 2, or really (1+delta) > 3?

Oops; I mean delta >= 1, so the base of the exponent is at least 2.

(1+delta) is necessarily bounded by the base of liberties of 2.975734192...

> Please let us know when a preprint is available on ArXiv or some other place.

The original write-up by Matthieu is available at
http://matthieuw.github.io/go-games-number/GoGamesNumber.pdf

Our CG2016 submission both simplifies and improves on that,
but that write-up should already convince you of how to achieve delta 1.

regards,
-John