The confidence in Lee Sedol is staggering.

I'd say it's quite natural. People know Lee Sedol and his strength.
Plus, he would have crushed the version that played Fan Hui. It takes
some domain knowledge to see that Aja et al. have gained four stones in
less than a year by incorporating a NEW technique, and wonder how much
more they can gain in six monthes, when the technique is still fresh.

Plus Kasparov won the first match versus Deep Blue.

Also, I don't know if I had congratulated Aja yet, so here it is !
Impressive work, you are at least five years early !

Jonas