I think you're correct, Thomas. The challenge is going to be getting ANY
professional to be the one who "takes handicap stones" for the first time
in years. The possible "shame" of doing so is what will make it messy.

Once someone does take that step, though, I think it is only a matter of
time before the rating of humans will be made a subordinate rating relative
to the "objective" rating of the AIs, AlphaGo just being the first. And
that has its own psychological challenges as the Go world has many decades
of handling ELOs and rankings for humans. So, I don't think change in this
area is going to be welcomed anytime soon.