On 29/05/2016 13:48, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:

> In particular, I use game playing software for the purpose of
> analysis. It seems that the special (positive) role of the
> "ChessBase" company in the Chess world is responsible for my opinion.
> ChessBase was founded in 1985 by two guys: the programmer
> Matthias Wuellenweber and the PR man Frederic Friedel.
> The only field of the company was the development of software
> for Chess (no other games; no other fields of software).
> It turned out to be a very important aspect that Mr. Friedel
> did (and does) a superb job in creating contacts with top Chess
> players:
>
> Very early Garry Kasparov (World Champion in those days, 1986) got involved
> and presented his use of the software in PR events.

I am too young to have lived through this consciously, but the obvious
question here is: what were they actually using the software for? Chess
programs on PC's must've been very, very weak in 1986.

I think the use of software was mostly for the database functionality
and variation saving during opening analysis right? (A strength of
Kasparov).

I suspect fuseki/joseki software already exists, not necessarily from
the same people selling the best engines.

On the other hand, commercial engines are probably close to breaking the
1p barrier soon. At which point they'll become analysis tools even for
the higher echelon of players, if initial resistance to "a new thing"
can be overcome.

--
GCP