I don't remember the content of the paper and currently can't look at the
PDF, but one possible explanation could be that a simple model trained
directly maybe regularizes differently from one trained on the best-fit
pre-smoothed output of a deeper net. The second could perhaps offer better
local optimization and regularization at higher accuracy with equal
parameter count.