I am not sure where in the paper you think they use Q(s,a) for a node s
that hasn't been expanded yet. Q(s,a) is a property of an edge of the
graph. At a leaf they only use the `value' output of the neural network.

If this doesn't match your understanding of the paper, please point to the
specific paragraph that you are having trouble with.

Álvaro.