For checkers, I used a naive implementation of UCT as my opening book
(the "playout" being the actual game where the engine is thinking). So
towards the end of the opening book there is always a position where
it will try a random move, but in the long run good opening moves will
be explored more often. I think this method might work well for other
games.

Álvaro.