On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM, terry mcintyre <terrymcint...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> When training a shot putter, one does not merely practice the entire
> activity; one looks for weaknesses and devises strategies to strengthen the
> athlete in those areas. These strategies might include time on the weight
> bench.

This is how you train,  but it's not how you measure the athletes
performance in the shot put.

> We'll probably need a variety of ways to nudge programs to the next higher
> level of competition; a variety of tests which focus on specific things, and
> which encourage the programmers to think more deeply about certain aspects.

It all sounds great on paper, but so many ideas that don't pan out do too.
 There are tests I use but the are very specific and primarily for
debugging.    For go it would be useful to have a thousand ladder positions
and so on.   But in the end you will notice that you have to play games to
see how anything like this translates to actual strength.

Don