hm... I can't confirm that... I just ran a few tests, and I can do 10k
empty playouts 19x19 per second on 4 threats, and about 11-12k on 8 threats.
I did the test with only playouts, no treesearch, additional
patternmatching or anything. With treesearch, going to more then 4
searchthreats actually slows down my code, due to some blocking issues...
(This will be fixed, at some point)
But also during treesearch right now I'm using 4 dedicated search/playout
threats, and some other threats doing minor work. (nonblocking cleanup and
managment of the tree, checking gtpconsole etc)

So I guess it really depends on the implementation and everyone has to make
their own tests, how their bot does best.