>Not before but after reinstalling the 10.9 update I repaired
>permissions.  Not after installing those security "fixes" tho.  I have
>most stuff backed up.  It will take hours or days to back up any further
>to the external drives since anything going thru USB is a drop at a
>time.  But I think I can back up over my network to my laptop so will do
>that next.

Sometimes updates do break things, but when this happens we usually see a
flood of problem reports. I have not seen that. Typically running the
update is the proximate cause, but not the real cause. Something was
askew just waiting for a nudge to become a problem.

I just had a terrible problem last weekend where a folder with 60GB of
client files vanished. I spent a couple hours at command line trying to
make the folder visible. Then I did the simple, dumb thing: ran disk
utility. That fixed everything.