Robert sez:

>P. S. Here's what Dad recommended for PC laptop (taken from Dell website):
>
>Intel Core Duo T7200 2 GHz. processor, 667 MHz. FSB
>15.4" WXGA screen
>1 GB memory, with possibility of expansion
>120 GB hard drive
>CD/DVD burner
>256 MB GeForce 7300 video card
>85 WHr battery
>wireless card
>
>Dell price $1,286 at the time

She'd be fine with a MacBook. You give up a couple inches in screen but
gain a SuperDrive that will burn DVDs among other things. Especially
with her being in an artistic major. The base model has:

Intel Core Duo 2GHz processor, 667 MHz FSB
13.3" glossy widescreen display
1 GB memory, expandable to 2GB
80 GB hard drive (replace with a 120 GB drive for $50 at purchase)
(note these drives are 5400RPM; the Dell maybe a slower 4200RPM and
depending on the work she does it can be noticeable)
Dual-Layer SuperDrive (CDROM,CD-R,CD-RW,DVD+-R)
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with
main memory
(MacBook Pros get the bigger video chips; this is acceptable for all but
the most demanding games)
55WHr lithium battery (up to 6 hours on battery, give or take for drive,
DVD, etc. use)
Airport Extreme wireless built-in (.b/.g/.n bands)

Other things that Dell may not have:
Built-in iSight camera
iLife applications (not demo apps that time out in 30 days like a lot of
PCs are loaded with)
Apple Remote for use with Front Row media software
Built-in omni-directional mic
Bluetooth
Mag-Safe power adapter (connects magnetically and pops off if the cord
is kicked; less chance laptop dragged to floors)
Firewire port (and 2 USB 2.0 ports)

$1299 from the Apple Store <http://store.apple.com/>

Oh, you can also run Windows on it if you have to via Boot Camp (reboot
into Windows) or something like Parallels (runs Windows on top of Mac OS
X. Buy from some place like MacMall.Com and you can get several freebies
(usually free after rebate) such as RAM upgrades, printers, etc. If she
needs MS Office, get the Student/Teacher Edition. It's much cheaper.
However, if all she would be using is Word, consider using NEO-Office
(free from <http://www.neooffice.org/>) or just using Mac OS X's
TextEdit which will read most Word .doc and save as also.

More here: <http://www.apple.com/macbook/>

Note that there is a slightly lesser version of the MacBook that is a
very capable little system for just $1099. (Although I'd probably up the
RAM on it to 1GB -- so at that point the $1299 model is a good buy).

--
Michael Lewis
Off Balance Productions