I used to do that sort of work.

I think you did the right thing charging her just $25.

Consider it the cost of developing a new good customer.

Bart

To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 10:11 PM
Subject: [CGUYS] What should one charge?

I got a call today from a sometime client. A Mac user, fwiw. She couldn't get
her computer to turn on, having had to "force quit" something yesterday.
Since I couldn't understand her explanation of her difficulty, I arranged to go
over and take a look at the machine.

Client has a very nice eMac running System 10.4.8. When I got there, the
computer was turned off. I asked how it was turned on, and she tapped the mouse a
couple of times. I said: That's nice. You can do that when the computer is
'sleeping.' But it's obviously turned off right now. (She must have done a "shut down" instead of a "force quit" yesterday.) Client had no idea of what I was saying. I had never had to turn this machine on before, so it took a couple of minutes to find the "on" switch. It's on the right side of the machine (as you face the screen), and just behind and below the wire connections. I touched
the "on" switch, and the computer turned on.

So -- what does one charge for turning a client's machine "on"?

I did a couple of other housecleaning things. Added a couple of bookmarks.
Was there about 1/2 hour. I charged a mere $25. She thought it was a bargain. I
thought it was a joke, but I had to charge something.

I would be curious to hear from others though.

Mical Wilmoth Carton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.