I am now glad I asked this question.  Ideally, I would like to retain
the ability to boot the OS on the "good" drive should one of the drives
fail.  Does what you describe allow for this?

The standard approach to installing Linux on the second drive would be to
tell the MBR on the first drive to load the boot loader on the second
drive.  That would show a menu and let you boot Windows on the first drive
or Linux on the second.

As Vicky pointed out, that means that either drive failing is a problem.
OTOH, drive failures are not as big a problem nowadays and any drive failure
usually means some work ahead of you to get things going.

One option is to boot off of CD or USB (if your BIOS supports it) or even
(Dog help me!) a floppy diskette.  Then, as long as your boot drive is still
operational (what if your CD drive fails?), you can weather a disk drive
failure no problem.

In fact, Mepis supports an install to USB option.

Trying to be boot disk agnostic is still a bit of a black art, though.

Probably the easiest and most robust would be installing Mepis 6.5 to USB,
then you boot Windows off the first hard drive, or Mepis off of the USB,
with the second drive your /home partition, etc.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own