This is a fair question.  Since you ask, I will answer.

I have a LOT of software on my PC computer and I use most of it frequently. The software includes mathematical & engineering design programs, graphics design, video editing, music composition, CD & DVD burning and ripping software, and many other kinds. Perhaps 150 or more application suites are there.

For example, I often make concert programs in WordPerfect for symphony orchestras and other groups, such as quartets. I research the composer & the musical work and then write program notes about the works, saving each as a file with filename identifying the group and date. Now, suppose that the same composer or same work is to be performed a year or two later by a different group: I would like to find the notes of the earlier concert program instead of researching from scratch. Thus, I need a search program that will find all earlier text in WordPerfect (or anywhere else). So far, Windows search function is slow and unreliable for this purpose. This is why I tried Google Desktop. It has a plugin for WordPerfect. For some reason, it uses 99% of my CPU if left for a few hours regardless of whether the WP plugin is installed. I have un-installed it.
Tony B wrote:
But I just gotta ask: What is it you do that you need to do these
searches so much? I think I might do a search like this once a year,
which is why I'm dragging my feet reinstalling a desktop searcher
right now. I mean, it's not like you can't do the search in Windows.