Silverlight is designed to compete with Flash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight

XPS is designed to compete with Aodbe's PDF format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Paper_Specification

You have to marvel at the irony of someone who crows on and on about
monopolies to cry about competition in dominant media formats.