On Jul 28, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Paul Meyer wrote:

Steve, WADR, none of your reasons sound even remotely right. I would suggest:

I must tell you that I was being quite ridiculous on purpose to a fair degree.

2. I have been pricing/buying pc's since the early 90's and never bought a Mac.
(until last year).
Reason 1: PC' were used at work
Reason 2: Price (as well as price of peripeherals)
Reason 3: availability of software (not necessarily quality of software)

I fully agree with this point. DOS machines were for the office crowd, they were less costly and they had the business software available. Also, everybody and their brother was making DOS machines, and the same applies today for Windows machines. The market was/is flooded.

Btw, Since the earliest days Dos-Windows has always been considered unstable
and the x86 chipset a real hack with its segmented memory architecture.

i know. Again, I was being intentionally silly when suggesting that the Mac OS was perceived to be historically flaky.

Btw, I think one of the reasons that Mac-PC debate is so acrimonious is because it folds in real class differences. I was a grunt in the computer industry
for five years before I started to get any decent income.

What class differences are you referring to? Income levels? The nature of work that one buys a PC to do versus a Mac? The iconoclast versus the lemmings, no insult intended?

I gravitated from the Atari line to the Mac, and I feel it was primarily because the Atari was more Mac-like than PC-like that I made that decision. The Mac was considered to be the better graphics machine, and that was/is my line of work.

Speaking from experience, if you have to save months or longer to buy a computer (and they were expensive in the early days) the price difference between Mac and PC was significant and the TCO arguments irrelevant..(Apple peripeheral were also more
expensive).

  Agreed.

The flip side of the coin, is that historically Wintel partisans tend to cast Apple users
as frivolous, unsophisticated (perhaps unmanly?).

Agreed. If by unmanly and unsophisticated you mean to say that Mac users are not often having to get out the tool box to go "under the hood" and fix things, then I'll live with those terms.

What did Rodney King say?

Hey, I love my Windows brothers and sisters. I just hate to hear that their computer is down again, or that it is running slow again and it has only been a couple of weeks since the tech last fixed that problem.

  Steve