Since no one else has anything to say on this:
It seems to me the MS often "updates" it's players to something that is unreadable by previous versions in an effort to get users to "phone home" and to keep non-MS players from working.

Phil Marchetti wrote:
I have a customer that is an all Mac business and they want to know how to play streaming or otherwise, WVX file formatted audio/video on their OS 10.4.x Macs.

I have tried "flip 4 Mac WMV" , DivX, Windows media player (Mac version 9).
I am able to get the video, but no sound.

According to one Google search:
A .wvx file is a Windows Media Redirector file.

The only purpose of this file is to redirect you to

 Windows Media files like WMV files.

The below link is one such item they wish to see and hear.

http://agriculture.edgeboss.net/wmedia/agriculture/07-24-07_pressconference.wvx

Any help is appreciated.

Phil Marchetti