>Well, initially it wouldn't start up in safe mode.  It hung at the
>white screen with the apple logo and the spinning dial.  So I shut it
>down after about 5 mins and started again.  It took almost 5 min. but
>did finally start up.

At that point it was doing a disk repair and it lools like you really
needed it. This was not a good time to force quit. Sometimes at this
stage the Mac will even restart on its own and then continue with the
disk repair.

>I have Camino open with all the tabs I usually have open(10 tabs) ,
>mail, Windows media player because I wanted to listen to Mike Malloy
>show but.......sadly, I have no sounds.

Well that explains the high load. Maybe you should try your streaming
with iTunes?

>Also have Photoshop CS2 with 2 photos open and iTunes.

PS is a memory hog. How big are the photos? If big then you should follow
Adobe's instructions on memory management.

>And all of my widgets are running as usual.

You are trying to murder your Mac. One rogue Widget can cause a lot of
trouble. Get Widget Manager and use it.

>The cpu seems to vary between about 44% to around 58% most of the time

Way too high.

>with spikes up to 100%.

>I really miss having my special buttons on  my Logitech rollerball!

Now I'm starting to think you are pulling my leg. Do you routinely drive
your car through ditches and then complain about the rough ride?