Now I'm starting to think you are pulling my leg. Do you routinely drive
your car through ditches and then complain about the rough ride?

I'm chuckling here. <g> I do run my truck thru ditches from time to time but I don't complain. I do expect it to perform as it was intended. ;-) Yes, I expect my machines to run whatever software is made for them. Or was it the rollerball that made you keel over? LOL I left it open overnight with Lightroom with several hundred thumbnails open in the library, Photoshop CS2 with 2 large photo files open, mail, Camino with 8 tabs, Palm Desktop,(thought it might be the problem) , system preferences, dashboard with several widgets and iTunes all running. It's still working fine, almost briskly , this a.m. The CPU load is around 45-54% most of the time. You said that was too high. With so many big programs running at once, what would you consider "normal" for the CPU? If the Logitech multibutton rollerball is the issue.....seems I've heard of problems in the past with Logitech drivers......do you or anyone have a suggestion for a mouse/rollerball that is more stable and has programable buttons. I use those constantly instead of reaching for the keyboard to do things.

Well that explains the high load. Maybe you should try your streaming
with iTunes?

I did.  No sound.  iTunes wouldn't play anything.

At that point it was doing a disk repair and it lools like you really
needed it.
I had already run disk repair a few days ago and after that, it said it was ok.

As my dropped laptop has a non-functioning screen now......things fall apart in bunches, it seems.....I have to go to the Apple Store today anyway. I'll look for a new mouse because I have a feeling it is the rollerball that has caused my problems. First tho I'll reboot normally, with the external speakers still unplugged, and see if the flakiness returns.

Paula
IN/USA
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Have a wonderful day!