A short update on my OSX shutting down (NOT the computer but the OS). After many attempts to figure out what was happening over night that caused this to occur every night, I found a program that I had installed a long time ago but decided I didn't want to pay for it so left it when it's trial ended unpaid for. The program is called Macaroni and was supposed to do system repairs, clean up etc automatically. There was no uninstall for it and it wasn't shown in Applications but I did eventually find a folder in "startup" that had it and deleted it. I haven't had the OS shut down since.

I do still have slow downs and delayed response time in some programs so will continue to work on finding the problems there but at least it no longer just stops working and tells me I have to turn off the computer.
Thank you to all of you who offered advice.  It all helped a great deal.

Paula
IN/USA
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Have a wonderful day!