When I proposed to my boss that he podcast some of the resources of the association for which I work, he turned me down. Podcasting didn't work in the association world, he said; association members didn't like it, so association members had quit doing it.

This surprised me; I thought that EVERYBODY did podcasts. I'm going to do it myself, eventually, with my own stuff.

But it did raise a few questions: just how good a publication and marketing tool is podcasting, anyway? A lot of TV programs and radio stations podcast, but it isn't a huge effort to turn their already produced content into podcastable format. This leaves open the question of how useful podcasting really is, if you're not WAMU or Meet the Press.

Do you podcast, on your own, or for an employer or client? If so, what are the results? Do you think that podcasting is a viable tool for businesses, associations, or serious amateurs, or just another way to blog in your spare time?

--Constance Warner