Not a great analogy. We are talking about people registering someone else's name to presumably use for commercial benefit, including, in effect, blackmailing them to pay to get a name that someone else has, as you say, cybersquatted. Unless you can tell me some legitimate purpose for registering and maybe using someone else's name without permission, there are too many ways this could exploit or hurt the person (as someone said, post things in the name of that person that would be embarrassing or worse). So why should this be legal, any more than identity theft is? Is there some societal purpose that is furthered by allowing this? Look at all the potential problems that have been pointed out if I were to create a site based on the person's name I registered, and I never intended to use this for commercial gain. For something like a fan website, those wanting to do this could seek and receive permission, could they not?

Randall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Piwowar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Grabbing domain names of well-known persons?

>Well, only a few days ago, I knew virtually nothing about this domain
registration business.  Yet I rather quickly came to the tentative
conclusion that it doesn't make sense that people are allowed to register
other people's names...
So if it's illegal or clearly unethical, why is is allowed, done apparently
frequently... and not called into question very much?

Why. Unless you have it trademarked, your name is not protected. Why
should it be? Why do you think your name belongs to you? You probably did
not even create your name, your parents did. You are memerly the object
to which it applies. You are taking IP to new extremes.

If you meet someone on the street and they greet you by name will you sue
them for using your name?