>Techtool Protoge is on a FireWire, not USB drive.
>http://micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=49

That's right. I forgot that detail. Booting from FW has been built into
the hardware for many years. Booting from USB is newer, but works for
recent models (as previously noted). I would expect USB booting to be
less reliable just because I generally find USB to be less reliable, but
I have not tried it. I note that Apple's migration tool uses FW, not USB,
even though Macs all come with USB2 these days.

>Haven't seen a tiny FW drive like that before. Can I get one without the
>TT software?

They are rare, but if you google on "firewire flash drive" you will find
them. Reviews say they are no faster than USB2 flash drives and a bit
more expensive. Definitely a special-purpose only product.