Hey, we should ALL be so lucky as to own Microsoft or Apple stock!  (Or
any stock, for that matter.)

Microsoft and Apple have advertising budgets that dwarf the GNP of even
a few first-world countries.  They don't need to enlist people on lists
like this to do their work for them.  In fact, big companies like that
don't like amateurs getting involved in their PR efforts; they like to
control every detail of the message.

Actually, I believe most of us do have a vested interest in one OS or
another, even beyond considerations of security, compatibility (with
software and the nature of the work), and ease of use.  Figuring out
computer stuff, and taking computer courses, can be fun, but there's a
limited amount of time and money you can spend on learning basic
operating systems--which you have to know, in today's society, to get
any job above the level of office cleaner.  Employers don't provide
training; most employees expect you were born knowing Windows, and often
the Mac people don't provide training because Apple OS is "so much
easier."  (It is easier, but that doesn't stop the sense of panic a new
employee gets when they first confront a one-button mouse.) So that's
just one more reason why people can get very partisan about the OS they
use and have already mastered--even if it's a case of "the devil you
know."

--Constance Warner