Alvin Auerbach asked:
>I had Safari 2.0.4 installed on my iMac G5.
>I installed Safari 3 Beta over it. I liked it, but had some problems.
>I trashed it and went back to Safari 2.0 from my original install
>disks. Apple Software Update did not update Safari 2.0 to 2.0.4.

That is right. Safari 2.0.4 is only available on the latest OS X.4
install DVD or via Software Update. If you run the OptionalInstalls.mpkg
you will have it as an option. I think the issue is that certain versions
of Safari depend on having certain versions of OS X.

Software updater is supposed to handle this. If this is not working right
try running Disk Utility first to verify/repair the drive and then repair
permissions. Then update OS X if necessary and run Updater again to see
if it gives you the Safari update. (Works for me.)

jemmerling opined:
>Don't waste your time with Safari, it's a bad browser.  I will spare you a
>diatribe on just how bad it is.

No Safari is not a "bad browser." It is different in some respects from
somebody else's favorite browser, but that does not make it bad. Having a
variety of browsers available is good (for a lot of reasons).