Tom's last post cost me some time in research.

My original post was based on hard personal experience, and I was surprised to
hear that Safari 2.x passed the ACID2 test (although I don't concede that is
the only criterion for judging a browser).

On Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid2) I see that this compliance
began with Mac OS v10.4.3.  As I believe this is a very recent release, my
experience has probably been with earlier versions.  It would surprise me to
learn that Mac users having this version or later currently represent a
majority, it's the other real-world users out there I have to worry about.

As a web developer, I can now feel optimism that Safari will present less of a
problem going forward.

The OP should probably go ahead and start using the Safari 3.x beta.  It looks
as though it's stable enough for daily use.

--JE