I was near an Apple Store at 6 PM Friday so I decided to see what was up.
As I rounded the corner at exactly 6 there were loud cheers as the store
doors opened. There were about 300 people in line to enter the store.

I was impressed by how calmly and effectively this mob was handled. I
think most stores would panic at this sitation. The line moved quickly
then stopped. I think this was to enforce a fire department limits on how
many people are allowed in the store at once. After that a few people
were let in every time a few people left the store. People were leaving
at a good rate because the checkout was marvelously fast. It only took a
few minutes for me to get into the store. Right at the door there were a
half dozen Apple staff handing out Leopard T-shirts, acting like the most
important thing at the moment was my getting the right size T-shirt.

Despite the mob the store was functioning well. There were lots of
smiling staff thanking us for coming and apologizing for the crush. I had
no trouble getting the attention of one of the techs who gave me a 20
minute detailed demo of TimeMachine. He knew the new software well (you
know I don't ask easy questions). He could not answer one question and he
had no trouble telling me he did not know -- no bullshit. I asked
questions about the X Server and he knew that too. He even gave me tips
on saving money on the server.