I am a Mac/Apple user, but am not sure I agree about resale value driving market. Do any of you regularly resell old computers?

"The present article is an attempt to prove to you that, on price
alone, the Mac is not the BMW of computers. It is the Ford of
computers. I am not arguing that the Mac is cheaper only if you
consider the psychic benefits conferred by its quality. Rather I'm
going to illustrate something more straightforward: Even though you
may pay a slight premium at the cash register for a Mac over a
comparable Windows PC (a premium that gets slighter all the time), it
will cost you less money -- real, honest-to-goodness American dollars
-- to own that Mac than to own that PC."

See: http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2007/11/07/mac_price/index.html

/gayley