Being a belt and suspenders sort of guy- I would suggest both a
regular hard drive rotation and on line vaulting.  The hard drive
rotation backups will get your system up and running faster but it is
likely to miss work in progress.  An automatic on line vaulting
solution is more likely to save your bacon on an important project
that is still in progress.

There may be a feature in a home server that would backup on the fly as well.

On Dec 12, 2007 4:59 PM, db <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Good point.  I was assuming the users know where their critical data
> is.  A very unrealistic assumption.
>
> I think it would take less time to sort out their data into critical and
> not critical & then back up online than to spend time regularly trying
> to reliably back up everything locally.
>
> But that would be a rational approach when the world really only behaves
> rationally occasionally ...
> :)
> db
>
> John DeCarlo wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 2007 2:48 PM, db <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >> While average people have a lot of voluminous but not time critical data
> >> such as digital photos,  usually the people's critical addressbook,
> >> encrypted password list, banking, personal biz data, email etc. isn't
> >> that substantial.
> >>
> >> I would think backing up and restoring such online would be
> >> realistically do-able.  ?
> >>

> > Depends on what you mean.
> >
> > 1.  If I, as a careful and meticulous user, have identified the most
> > important data on a day-to-day basis, and have a way of backing up and
> > restoring just that data, then I could probably back it up and restore it
> > across the Internet.
> >
> > 2.  If I, as a regular user, just backup all my hard drive and don't really
> > know what is most critical - how many of my PowerPoint files at 10-40 MB
> > each do I really need to restore today? - then I probably need to rely on
> > restoring all of it.  Then online restore isn't that practical.
> >
> > 3.  If I, as a regular user, had something transparently backing up all my
> > data, and could restore on an "as-needed" basis - so that when I click on a
> > video file of my wedding, or on a document, it tells me it hasn't restored
> > yet, but could do so in about 20 seconds (or 1 hour for the wedding video
> > maybe) - then I could do an effective restore over the Internet.  Of course,
> > this assumes that I can reinstall the OS and all the applications locally.

> * New address? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L YourNewAddress
> * Need more help? Send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> * Messages bearing the header "X-No-Archive: yes" will not be archived

John Duncan Yoyo