You can have both, but after the AT$T experience I'd say dump it.  The
problems you are having are not unusual..AT$T's motto is 'we aren't happy
till you aren't happy.'  I didn't make that up, I stole it from a podcast.

If your cable modem is like mine it has several lights.  One of them should
be CABLE or some such.  It shows you actually have a connection to comcast.
If this is not lit, you will most likely have to call comcast.  If it is
lit, then try changing cables from the cable modem to the computer.  Stay
connected directly to the cable modem till you figure out your problem as to
not add to it by adding other thing that could be having issues.  Try
leaving the computer off, unplug the power on the cable modem and leave it
off a few minutes, plug it back in and see if the cable light comes on and
stays on.  Once it's on, turn the computer on and try it.

Mike