Those questions are silly. You're obviously not a musician or music connoisseur, otherwise you wouldn't bother to ask. Ever hear John Cage? How do you judge? A recording is what it is--you like it or you don't. My concern is to recreate an original recording as accurately, with as much data as possible, and save it for future use.

Most people can't tell the difference between a high quality original source, preferably analog or at least AIFF, and an MP3. I can, even after all those painfully loud concerts and quite a few symphonies and operas too. If you can't tell, why worry about it? I notice the difference when I forget to convert formats for my iPod and I'm using my Koss headphones--I can really tell the difference between an MP3 version and an AIFF. But most of the time I don't care if I like the music anyway and can dance to it.

We still use a turntable [and sometimes 3/4" tape] with our Harman Kardon system and appreciate the significant difference. BUT, who cares about the sound when driving a car and using an FM transmitter to a car radio? Yes, when we convert analog to digital, we try to use the method that preserves the most data. Digital [audio/video] will never have as much data as analog, but it can be close enough that it might be difficult to tell the difference, especially for those of you who don't know the difference anyway.

While this sounds like a good rule at first, several questions arise.
How do we know the source was 'good' to begin with? Was the room in
which it was recorded 'correct'? Is the design of the instrument
'correct'? Was the musician playing the instrument 'properly'?

Since all the words in quotes are non-absolutes, how can we say we're
'degrading' anything and not actually 'improving' it?

I'm not speaking of the obvious difference between a 16k mp3 and a
128k mp3. Rather, I'm coming from the optical world where, especially
with RAW formats, there's an awful lot open to interpretation. e.g.
When was the last time you saw a movie/commercial that didn't employ a
colorist (or several).

Often.

> recording for quite a while.  The First Commandment is:  Thou shalt
> not degrade the source.

Eric -- well said!

Betty