I find this whole thing confusing.  I took a workshop on consulting a few
years ago.  The teacher worked through a scenario in which a consultant
wished to make $60k/year (or maintain that amount if coming from a salaried
position).  After going through all the added expenses and the reduced time
(came out with about 1,000 billable hours in the year, as Tom suggested) her
analysis was that to earn 60 K a contractor would have to charge about
$105/hr, or about 3.5 times the equivalent hourly rate for a salaried
position of that amount (appx $30 K/hr).

If this multiplier is basically accurate, this would translate into needing
to charge about $70/hr to make the equivalent of $40 K.  This would seem to
suggest that getting something like $30 or $35/hr would hardly be viable; be
better off working at a regular job.

Does anyone think this analysis (the teacher's, not mine) is off?

Thanks,
Randall

On Jan 16, 2008 8:59 AM, David Turk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hope not too off-topic, but on the topic of salaries--
>
> Why is it organizations are willing to pay a free-lance photographer
> $90-125/hour, but balk at paying a staff photographer $60K/year, which is
> only $30/hr?  I know there's the whole benefits/pension issue, but the
> savings for the photography are huge.  And I'm talking about places that use
> these photographers on a weekly basis.
>
> david

Please use new email address:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]