It's not uncommon for competitors to buy one another.  I used to use St.
Bernard's Update Expert for centralized patch management on my LAN.  It was
a good product until the most recent version.  After that, it was basically
unusable.

I was considering scrapping it and getting another system (but kept putting
it off) when Shavlik, which has its own patching product, announced that it
was buying Update Expert and converting the UE customers over to its
product.

So, by waiting and doing nothing, I saved a bundle, got rid of the one I
didn't want and got the product I wanted instead!