If the drive itself (not the DVD disc) doesn't show in both device manager
nor explorer, then what the Rev said, the drive is most likely shot.

Has HP improved their design since I last owned one and made the drive
removable or is it part of the chassis?  I had to literally disassemble my
HP laptop to replace the CD-ROM, which had failed.  It was an experience, to
say the least.