Western European born, US Raised, but raised with an understanding that there are two realms you live in, spiritual/political-governmental.

Render unto Caesar, that which is Caesar and render unto God that which is God. 4th Commandment stuff. (Remember I come from a highly religious background)

I never thought that government is for me. Government is for government. I owe them taxes and obeying laws. I serve the church and it gets my first allegiance.

Do governments serve themselves? Yes all the time. Any institution that has been around becomes intrenched in institutional mentality. That does not mean I have to quite listening to them.

Any government that operates under the delusion that you can have complete privacy will become a victim of its own delusions.

If everyone put up a fence to protect their privacy and anyone crossed over that fence, we would fast become a victim of it. My privacy only exists until it butts up against someone else's. We have built a shibboleth out of privacy, something that has never really existed.

Stewart