Plus, at least some of these requests were very broad. Not just "who did this person call," but "all the persons this person called and all the people those people called." That's going to be a big number.

Well, not exactly.  It was stated that the telco didn't keep calling
circle data.  Also, the telco didn't say it responded to those requests,
only that it received them.

From a purely technical standpoint, assume the call is to Saudi
Arabia or Fiji or even say Texas.  Assuming the time and duration
of the call is clocked, that's all very well.  That's what the telco does,
clocks time of call and duration.  That's so the subscriber can be
billed for the call.

The telco has no control over the information transmitted and no
knowledge of that information.  All we know is that subscriber X
called number Y for Z minutes/seconds on date whatever.

And it costs whatever amount of dollars depending on the rate.

That's it.  We don't record traffic beyond that.

How could say AT&T know what was said in Saudi Arabia when
an SA local number calls a Kuwait local number after a call from
the U.S.?  They can't.  And they don't care.

Yes it's possible for law enforcement to execute live taps.

But as I've said, the telcos don't do this on their own.

Google CALEA if you want to get the big picture of how this is
implemented, this is all public record type stuff.

I can assure you that I am not playing with statistics, what your
government does with technology I am not responsible for
other than to insist that the rules be followed in the areas that
I am responsible for.

Not only do I take this very seriously I am apalled that even a
.0078 slip rate is admitted to and apparently allowed to exist.