On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 00:59:34 -0500, Michael Fernando wrote:

>> This particular public will certainly be migrating to the Google
>> product. I've spent a *lot* of time avoiding Microsoft products except
>> for OSes because I'm too lazy to learn Linux and too cheap to buy a Mac.
>

>Well, certain Linux distros have come a long way.  I think Ubuntu can be
>used for everyday desktop tasks.  Give it a try.  After all, it is a
>completely free download as opposed to RedHat or SuSE.  You just have to get

Oh, I know. I've actually installed a couple distros of Linux
(Mandrake, Ubuntu, Red Hat (before it went commercial)). It really
isn't that hard to do.

>used to knowing what application to use.  For instance, how do you know you
>need to use Nero or Toast (or your favorite CD writing sw) to burn a CD on a
>Windows machine?  You just know ... similarly, you have to get to "know"

Right. Some are obvious. Firefox, Open Office. I quite like my orphaned
mail program though (PMMail), and AFAIK it's only Windoze and OS/2, so
that leads to Wine which I never quite mastered. Largely through lack
of effort, I'll admit.

>So, you don't have to be a command-line addict to use Linux these days.

Well where's the fun in that? (-:

--
katan

The very powerful, and the very stupid have one thing in common.
They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit
their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one
of the facts that needs altering.

       The Doctor (Number 4)